Thursday, January 20, 2011

So much history for such a small town....

Yesterday I was walking back home from the clinic and I meandered over behind Coyote Ugly because I knew there was a trail leading up to my house that would get me there quicker. When I went behind there I saw an old dilapidated building that I fell in love with. I decided I would come back the next day to get pictures of it, and I am glad I did...

It snowed a little bit last night, and I love the way snow makes everything look! I have no idea what this building's purpose was, but I know that Baumholder post was constructed in 1937 as a result of German rear armament. The Third Reich was looking for an area with appropriate terrain to be a large military training area and Baumholder was the choice. The government appropriated over 22,000 acres, displacing about 842 families from 14 different villages around Baumholder, and resettled these families in the surrounding areas. After the resettlement of families was completed, construction began immediately.


Three thousand laborers worked rapidly and by 1938, 20 houses, an Officer's camp with post headquarters, a quartermaster depot and separate barracks for each company were completed. Large numbers of German and Austrian units were trained in Baumholder after WWII began in 1939. The year 1944 brought allied bombing raids on the post, in which several buildings and the rail yards were badly damaged. This building was right on the other side of the railroad tracks...




 
      I am willing to bet this was the railyard station, now it is Coyote Ugly

There is History all over this area... but one of the most obvious marks of history on Baumholder is on one of the buildings on post. No one ever believes me when I tell them that it is there... until I take them and show them.


5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, that looks like such a beautiful town! I love places that have so much history. There's almost a romanticism to it.

And wow, I had to look at the last picture about three times before I saw what you were talking about...

Rachy said...

Places with rich history are the best! That last picture is crazy.

Unknown said...

Wow, don't you love history like that, and your pictures are great!

Gaurav Arora said...

Ah!
I just love the way you put this up.
Beautiful pictures!!!!!
I need a photographer for my blog..
:D
I love your template as well, it is simple but the colors are so beautiful :)

Eyes: The way to Heart

Bongo said...

wow this is cool .....i have no concept of anything except where I am...this is very cool to have visuals..I want more ......LOLOLOL.......As always...XOXOXOXOXO