Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quarkbällchen recipe (because you asked so sweetly).

Here is the recipe for Quarkbällchen. Quarkbällchen is a Bavarian treat that is similar to a donut (but oh so much tastier). We first tried them on our trip to the Neuschwanstein Castle.



 I will post the ingredients how I got it, and how I converted it (by the way, I doubled this recipe and ended up with about 30):

Mix together:

50 g Sugar (about 3 and a half tablespoons)
3 tablespoons of oil
1 Egg
200 g Flour (almost 1 cup- I think it is just a little over 3/4 cup)
125 g quark (a little over 1/2 cup) **
1 pack vanilla (I have no idea what this means, so I used 1/2 tsp)
4 Tablespoons Milk
1 pack baking powder (again, I used 1/2 tsp)

I also added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the batter for extra flavor

Use a small ice cream scoop, melon baller, or spoon, and drop into hot oil and deep fry until golden brown.
  Dust the balls (or roll) in powdered sugar. ENJOY!!!!


** you can use cream cheese, farmers cheese, or order quark from the Vermont Butter & Cheese Creamery HERE! if you cannot find quark in any store in the States (I also hear that Whole Foods carries it).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing these while in Germany, especially in the touristy areas. Isn't there also a type of snowball thing where it's pieces of dough clumped together in a ball and it can have many different flavours?

Laura said...

The kind with dough clumped together and different flavors is not as good (In my opinion) and it is hard! These are soft like a donut.

Mary said...

Thank you so much for this post! I stayed at that hotel last year and have wanted that recipe ever since! :)

Mary said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I stayed at that hotel last year and wanted that recipe ever since :)

Unknown said...

I was in Germany late last year...and ate Quarkbällchen at the exact same store. I've been looking for a recipe, so this is really good. Thanks! :)

olivia said...

Thank you, dear! I visited the castle last week and on the way down I ate these marvellous "balls". It IS great to have the recipe!
Maybe you also have the Schneeballe recipe, I tasted it in Rothenburg.

Anonymous said...

1 package of Vanilla means one package of vanilla sugar. The German sell small packages of vanilla sugar and baking powder. So if you ever see a recipe that called for 2 packages of baking powder or 3 packages of vanilla sugar you will know what it means. If there is a military base near you, they have it there.

Unknown said...

Package of vanilla means a package of vanilla sugar. You can find these in German stores or at the commissary on military bases.

Jacqueline said...

Just was there last week and they were the only authentic ones I was told. We had them at bakeries and they were like a cake donut instead. Want to make them today.