Saturday, May 28, 2011

People You Encounter When Dieting

I have learned there are different types of people that you encounter while you are dieting.

There are the: "You don't need to lose weight! There is just more of you to love!" people. Uhhh, yeah... thanks but no thanks. If I cannot even love myself when I look in the mirror and see bulges here, and flab there, how is anyone else going to love me? If I look in the mirror and feel sick then I need to lose weight.

The people that give you dieting advice that are overweight and not losing weight. Uh, thanks... I can see how well that is working for you! Someone offered to lend me a book for a diet "that really works!!!". Thank you, but the diet I have been sticking to has helped me to lose about 21 lbs so far, and I am going to stick to it.

The people that are fit as HELL and telling you what you need to do. Sorry, but I do not take to kindly to people who have never had a weight issue in their LIFE telling me what I should do. This is especially true when they tell me exercises that I should be doing as well that I KNOW I physically cannot do right now (maybe ever?). I have horribly bad knees, even being on the elliptical or a stationary bike can hurt my knee beyond belief (the one I had surgery on in November). So, no... I cannot do squats or lunges... if I do I will fall or not be able to get back up. Or how about the overweight doctors telling you that you need to lose weight? Uh, what?

The people that excitedly ask you how you are doing it and you tell them they seem disappointed. I am sorry if you thought I was taking some magic pill or using some miracle diet that allowed me to shed this weight in days. I have been working hard at it. If you want to lose weight too, you will need to do the same. Also, when you ask me and I tell you how you can do it too (like cutting out sodas or cutting WAY back- like 1 a day or 1 every few days and drinking water instead) don't get upset with me. One person I know told me "I only drink diet sodas, I cannot drink water... ewww... but I drink like 10-15 diet sodas a day." OMG! The amount of sodium in those sodas ALONE will keep you from losing weight! She also told me she only ate once a day (dinner). This is also very bad. You cannot starve yourself otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and store everything that you eat into fat. You HAVE to eat breakfast everyday, it helps to kick start your metabolism for the day! I told her this and she blew me off. Oh well... you continue your fruitless efforts and I will continue shedding this weight.

Finally there are those that are supportive and excited for your weight loss. They cheer you on every step of the way and help give you the motivation to carry on. Luckily for me those kind of people are more plentiful in my life and I thank all of you for that. It helps me more than you could ever know (you know who you are).

So here I am, 21 lbs lighter in total than when I first started my weight loss journey. Once I am done I will post a picture, but I will not say what my goal is right now... because right now my goal is 1lb at a time (and a  few pairs of jeans in a box in my closet). I know just as I did not gain this weight overnight, I will not lose it overnight either.

On a final note, I will leave you with a pet peeve. Thin girls complaining that they are fat or need to lose weight. Really? FROM FUCKING WHERE??? Do us all fat chicks a favor and shut the fuck up and eat a donut! No fat chick wants to look at some skinny bitch complaining about how fat she is, it only makes us want to bitch slap you into next week!

Yeah, I am SOOOO sure she is having a hard time buttoning those jeans. Bitch.

15 comments:

Larry Lewis said...

In my beliefs you have to supply the determination and commitment, while your 'coach' supplies you support and motivation. As a fitness coach until 3 years ago you are right i had no clue about what it was like to feel 'fat', that changed with my eye operations. But being goal focused i could and did help 100's to achieve their target, and being caring, wanting to make the difference, i believe i've always been good support. My business partner now, was originally a client, in 2 years she went from size 24 to size 14, lost over 80 inches ... we made a good team then, as we do now

Unknown said...

All I gots to say is FRIED CHICKEN!!!
Though I haven't and can't see how you look I do know that you will get to your desired weight with your determination and angst.

Basil to you babe

A

Anonymous said...

she IS having trouble buttoning those jeans... but not because they're too small- it's because she's so fucking weak from hunger/starvation. :P she needs to eat a steak!! or maybe the whole fucking cow.

I'm with you... losing weight is HARD. I have tried almost everything before going the route of weight loss surgery... and it's STILL slow going, and it's STILL hard. And when people find out they are generally in two groups- those who are supportive and those who arent. Most of those who aren't, believe it or not, are overweight people who are just plain jealous.

I am so proud of you for your determination in this. You already look fabulous! It's about time you FELT as fabulous as you are. Good luck honey!

Brenda said...

I don't advertise it for that very reason, rather as people say to me 'are you losing weight' I play coy and say I am working out more, thus I don't have to deal with their issues. It works for me. And big cheers for standing proud. I am more into the working out now and how I feel, the other stuff is secondary.

Laura said...

Hahaha, thanks for the support everyone! Christine (pottymouthmommy), you crack me the fuck up! Alejandro... as always, you are evil.

Pamela said...

Here's my cheer: "Go Laura go! You can do it!" Yeah, some people are just flat out annoying. I'm writing a book with a friend who lost a huge amount of weight in 6 months. It was sheer will and determination!!!!!!!!! You'll get there! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Go Laura Go! 21 pounds is AWESOME! You should be so proud of yourself. oxox Keep up the good work, I'm proud of you!

Now excuse me while I'll go about looking for A's muzzle! =) lol

Dangerous Linda said...

Congratulations on your progress! As you say, because you are going through this personally, you are a great role model for others in your life! Go Gurrllll!!!

PS Don't be such a hater against skinny bitches -- we have our own obstacles to overcome ;-)

Jessica Brant said...

Laura,
congrats on the weight loss. I know it is a battle every day... Your doing it keep your goal in mind as for the rest of them fuck them you don't need their advice. Loved the ending of you rant... SO now that I am one of those girls I will shut up...
lol
xoxox
Jess

Laura said...

@Jessica, lol thanks so much! For both Jessica and Linda- I used to be one of those skinny bitches years ago, and I was never happy with my weight then either. Now being on the other end I know that when I lose this weight I will not be insensitive to the women that are struggling, and I will never say I am fat when my weight says otherwise (I don't want to end up with a donut shoved down my throat)!

Nelieta said...

Hi Laura, my ice cream post must have been torture! Sorry! Congrats on the weight loss..well done!

Michelle said...

HAHA! LOVE this post! I hope I am considered one of your supporters!
Keep up the great work!

-M-

Jessica M said...

lol oh I love this post...so true! OH and I agree...about the thin people who complain about their weight...very annoying! My mother is a twig and complains all the time that she is fat. I feel bad when it is in front of a relative or friend who has an actual weight problem. I think when people do that it is inconsiderate and shows a lack of empathy for those around them!

Anonymous said...

Wow, congrats on losing the weight! You forgot about the saboteurs (not people kidding you here, but the real life ones throwing food in your face)! And don't hate on those of us, umm, I mean, the people who had hoped that the weight just magically disappeared. There's no hope for us except to get our butts in gear to diet and exercise! Keep up the good work.

Lori Borys said...

I love this blog! All of them but especially the dieting ones. We have an online support group of friends who are all trying to lose weight and I am sharing your journey with them. If you're interested look me up on facebook