Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter in my house...

EASTER! It is the day that the Easter bunny goes stalking around in your yards, hiding eggs, and leaving baskets of goodies for the kids. For Christians it is the time to celebrate Jesus's resurrection, for pagans it is the Spring solstice, a time of fertility and regrowth, for Jews it is Passover to commemorate the time when their houses were passed over for having their first born killed in Egypt. Though I was raised Jewish, I am not religious. Easter in my house is a time to bake sweets, have treats, and... stuff... it holds no religious sentiment to me (much like Christmas).

Yesterday we made cookies. I bought a cookie mix by Crayola ...

Notice how pretty the cookies are that you can bake?!? Well we mixed the dough, and it was no where near firm enough to roll out cookies with. I even added flour! So the daughter and I decided to improvise and make our own given the dough we ended up with...
They tasted pretty good, and ended up tasting like cake cookies- very soft!

Then it was time to dye eggs...
It looses its magic as the kids get older...
The kids went to bed and I set out their baskets...
Then comes Easter morning, the kids get up, grab their baskets... and OH LOOK AT THE JOY ON THEIR FACES!!!!


How can you NOT love these kids????

Today we are going to have the traditional Easter BBQ'ed steaks... wait... that is not tradition? Well it is in MY house!!!! I think the eggs and baskets are going to end after this year... hmph. My family really does put the "fun" in dysfunctional!

7 comments:

Kriti said...

LOL loved your post and the pictures even more. Hope you have a blast with the easter steak. would love to read about how that went.

Bongo said...

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..I just love it...perfect...As always...XOXOXOXO

photos by jan said...

Just perfect...LOL.

Unknown said...

Happy Day!
Next year I'll send you some cookies :D
Oh, and BTW, I had to cut my 26 year old daughter off the basket last year so if you decide to to go cold turkey next year be prepared for a revolt!
Oh, one more thing, we celebrate Easter for the same reasons, chocolate bunnies, decorated eggs and peeps ✌

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Laura said...

Thank you everyone! I am always humbled and happy when people enjoy my posts!!!

Mary Hudak-Collins livingthescripture.com said...

Laura, loved it! Especially the photos:) What great memories they are making for you...some things you will never forget!